How to Make Meditation a Daily Habit Six steps to add meditation and awareness to your daily routine. By Jack Kornfield


https://www.mindful.org/developing-a-daily-practice/?mc_cid=7866856abb&mc_eid=66010031ce
There are optimal positions for gaining full potential during meditation as in this example of the statue of Shiva in the Lotus position or Padmasana (Sanskrit)
As the article suggests, it is important that we find a place and position that will enable us to practice meditation without being rigid and I will add, without experiencing pain. As some one who suffers with fibromyalgia and a few other ailments, I have found a few helpful aids that are general house hold items that I have around the house that help me. 
  • cushions 
  • chairs 
  • pillows
  • my all time favorite, well positioned rolled up towels 
  • a raised solid surface or some one to help, to aid me off the floor before I begin if I choose to do any floor work and find my self unable to get up unassisted
I also choose to aid my comfort and pain with
  • I have a favorite piece of instrumental music that I like to play when meditating at home to help block out noise as I live in an apartment in a main St. I have a wide selection of instrumental meditation music on this blog that you may choose to listen to. You may have your own favorite already but I warn you against music with lyrics. I find that if I listen to music with lyrics, I tend to loose my connection to the meditation and listen to the song and have even caught my self singing a verse or two.
Here are some position suggestions to help with your practice of meditation

A Lying rather than sitting position, the floor supporting your spine and open shoulders enhancing airflow into the lungs

Sitting in a chair with you back and feet supported and grounded. 
The mat under the chair legs is not necessary.

Meditation should not hurt. Cushions under the buttocks that allow the legs to be crossed at the front, relieve muscle pulling in the upper thighs and hips. This can be achieved with yoga and meditation cushions, but I find a stack of 3 folded towels and a wall in my room works for me.  

Do what you can with what you have before you buy stuff that you don't need.
This practice is ancient, and has survived eons without the latest and most expensive mat or cushion until now. Keep it simple, after all, meditation is about attaining clarity and peace of mind, not stuff.
As mentioned in the accompanying article by Jack Kornfield of Mindful.org, focus on your breath in the moment and the sensations that are occuring in your body. As you are present with your breath, you may release tensions and stress in the muscles all over your body by visualising them floating away. Let go of thoughts as they flood your mind, clearing space for peace to enter. If unwanted thought enter your sacred meditative space, aknowlege them, then ask them to leave , and begin again. Do this as many times as needed, without judgment, without blame, without telling yourself that you are getting it wrong. We are thinking beings. Thoughts will and do come. Just gently aknowlege, aske them to leave and begin again.
There are many guided meditations on my blog if you find it difficult to just sit in silence. Please take advantage of their Healing Benefits by just typing Guided Meditation in the search bar.

Live your Bliss
Mairead
Honouring Children’s Rights.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

21 DIY Creative Crafts for Adults - By Abun & Life