Listen to children when they bravely work up the courage to disclose sexual and/or physical abuse. You may be the last person left that they can trust. Mairead Ashcroft 24/7/16

     One year on, after a 17 year battle, since Brother Bernard Joseph Hartman fro St Paul's College was sentenced for his crimes of Childhood Sexual Abuse. Here were my thoughts on the day. "Today's events have really taken it out of me. I am so tired, and my head aches. 3 years with one suspended. Once Hartman serves his 2 years in jail he will be sent back to the States. I know that this short term might anger some but please keep in mind that most perpetrators of historical crime serve no sentence at all. My heart goes out to all of the survivors who have undergone the harrowing experience of facing their abuser to have the offender walk free. Please see today as a progressive step in the right direction. 2 years for three counts of sexual crimes of the most severe nature and 4 other crimes of assault are worth a LOT more than a short 2 years."

     My life has progressed and although I feel that I may be in a state of recovery for the rest of my life, I am surrounded with support and have managed to find gold in the darkest places. My hope is that the hard work that myself and other survivors from all around the world have put in to raise the profile of the horrors of childhood sexual and physical abuse may enable children to have a voice when faced with the same sickening experiences. All I ask is if a child raises their voice, please listen and take appropriate action. 90% of perpetrators, male and female, are known to the children ; family members, medical staff, educational staff, coaches, neighbours or any number of people who come into contact with your child.Hartman was a school counsellor, member of clergy and family babysitter. Please show compassion, empathy and most important of all, never accuse a child of lying to you. You may be the only person that they can trust. If other people advise you to not make a big deal about it, ignore them.Please take care.

Live your Bliss. 
Mairead

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

21 DIY Creative Crafts for Adults - By Abun & Life