The beach is my healing balm. Mairead Ashcroft 22/8/2015

"The pain of PAIN"
                                                                                                                                                                                              Experiencing a deep emotional crisis can feel as if the world will swallow you up whole and spit you out again because it can't tolerate the bitterness, fear and sadness. This has been my experience in very recent times. I would say that I normally have a sense of control over my emotions. Not so much at the moment. I am experiencing anxiety, chronic headaches and am overwhelmed by Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, particularly when I am alone.  But today I was not alone. A very kind friend, traveled across town and spent the day with me. We went for a long walk along the Altona beach front with a winter sun shining and a crisp breeze on our faces.Nothing gives me greater pleasure than being connected to this place with a trusted friend. Life on the beach has been kind to me.
Altona Beach
This transcendent view was mine to indulge in every day since I was 9 years old. I spent hours of fun jumping off the pier, catching fish, and occasionally sat at the beach all night when the temperature was too warm to stay indoors.  The sand and sea offered me a different world, one free from violence and shame. The cold water offered me an opportunity to feel alive while the waves caressed my wounds over and over again. The beach was reliable. It was what it was and seemed to gift me with exactly what I needed, when I needed it. The sun warmed and dried me, the sand offered me a place to lay my head, seaweed and shells inspired my creativity and the wind cooled the hot sand beneath my feet. Altona beach also gave me protection from life situations that were far too difficult for my psyche to understand. I hid behind shrubs and trees when I needed to escape danger and the beach offered company when I felt lonely, sad and confused.

I talk to the animals who also seem to find solace in the arms of the water and sand. Over time I have seen dolphins, seals, penguins, dogs, foxes, water rats and a huge variety of birds from the tiny curlew to the majestic pelicans and sea eagles. I'm never alone at the beach but I can feel lonely, even when surrounded by so much beauty. This was why today's walk was so life giving. I was given the opportunity to share my memories and my connection to this wonderful piece of the world with some one who I care about and someone who cares about me. I am a lucky person to have a friend.
Live your Bliss
Mairead

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

21 DIY Creative Crafts for Adults - By Abun & Life