Today is my Birthday!!! Yeah, we all have them, but this one is special. It is more exciting than my 13th, 18th, 21st and 50th put together. It is my first birthday that I have not had the fear and dread of the impacts of my childhood sexual abuse hanging over my head.

It was only 13 days ago that Bernard Joseph Hartman was sentences to 2 years jail for sexual abuse crimes committed against me and 3 others when we were children. 

http://tenplay.com.au/news/melbourne/2015/7/24/paedophile-catholic-brother-jailed

I am 51 years old today. I have not enjoyed a birthday since I was 8 years old, 43 years ago. Every year that passed reminded me that Hartman may be abusing other children. It would sicken me to the core. I often spent my birthday with stomach pain and headaches. On my 33rd birthday I was hospitalized with severe migraine.

Particularly over the past 16 years, whilst undergoing the legal process of having Hartman arrested, I have been plagued by feelings of anger and doubt that any form of protection would ever occur for potential victims.

Hartman is now in an Australian jail and is on the National Sex Registry. My intention now is to insure that he be placed on a similar registry when he returns to the United States in two years time.

So Happy Birthday to me!!! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

21 DIY Creative Crafts for Adults - By Abun & Life