Marianist brother who taught at North Catholic gets 2-year term for sex abuse in Australia July 25 : By Peter Smith / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. A two-year prison sentence cannot repair the lifelong trauma of being sexually abused from age 8, but an Australian survivor of abuse by an American Roman Catholic religious brother says his incarceration is a sign of progress.

The story of  Brother Bernard Joseph Hartman's arrests has been published in his home town of Pittsburgh. Sadly, a statute of limitations stands in the US so it is very unlikely that Hartman will face charges for crimes committed there.

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/world/2015/07/25/Marianist-brother-who-taught-at-North-Catholic-gets-2-year-term-for-sex-abuse-in-Australia/stories/201507250054

The day of sentencing has really taken it out of me. I am so tired, and my head aches.I have never been a person to hold a grudge. My philosophy is generally live and let live but for the sake of the protection of children I fought feelings that went against my natural state and pursued Hartman. the final court result is 3 years with one suspended. Once Hartman serves his 2 years in jail he will most likely be sent back to the States. I know that this short term might anger some but please keep in mind that most perpetrators of historical crime serve no sentence at all. My heart goes out to all of the survivors past and present who have undergone the harrowing experience of facing their abuser in court to have the offender walk free.  2 years for four counts of sexual crimes of the most severe nature and three crimes of assault to my mind should be worth a more than a short 2 years but I see today's result as a progressive step in the right direction. 

Bernard Joseph Hartman
entering court on Friday 24/7/15

I have had many people voice their hatred toward offenders and shock that I harbor no hateful  feelings toward Hartman. Despite what some believe and hope, I don't believe that capital punishment is ever justified and I cannot understand how it could assist healing in any way. I believe that taking an offenders life or  performing any act of harm can only cause pain for the offenders family and friends which can perpetuate hate. I personal wish no harm to Hartman. My wish is that he can fully understand the pain that his actions have caused and find some way to find peace.  Love not war.

Many people have asked me how I have managed to continuously move forward during the 16 years that it has taken to fight this case. Others have been almost angry at me for not speaking about Hartman in derogatory terms and at times I have felt it necessary stop people from venting their anger at me. I have rightful and justified anger but I've been working on this for 16 years. Had I used anger to proceed I would have burned out a long time ago. I managed to last as long as I have because of my love for past, present and future survivors. Negative energy brings negative energy and positive energy brings positive energy. Remaining positive, following truth, being patient and using my intelligence with respect has all been for the benefit of other survivors.

Live your Bliss
Mairead

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

21 DIY Creative Crafts for Adults - By Abun & Life